Better management of production staff! … What does that mean?
Every time I meet a sales representative of a company specializing in the optimization of production staff schedules, they make me dream by telling me that I will be able to “better manage the industrial staff in shifts” … But in fact what do I have to win there?
The organization of the production is based on the scheduling of the production orders, according to the resources, the lines, the mixers, the preparation…
But it is also the concrete organization of the production staff. Which person assumes which workstation and when?
To achieve this, there are many constraints to take into consideration. We can mention:
- Respect of the work rotation: 2X8, 3X8, 5X8 and all possible combinations…
- Respecting skills, certifications, authorizations…
- Taking into account the calendar: vacations, illnesses, training…
- Legal constraints: max 48h/week, rest between two work periods…
Finally, there are also the local good practices of each factory:
- Continuity on the same workstation to have a better performance…
- Alternation of strenuous jobs: carrying loads, working in the cold, etc.
“Better management” does not mean that we will teach you your job, far from it! But it does mean that you can save time by having a planning software that allows you to make the most of your staff by assigning them to workstations to meet scheduling constraints. All this in an automatic way and in the respect of the operational constraints and of the legal and local organization rules.
This is what our product “PeopleForce” does.
You will say that all this sounds fantastic. But what is the added value of this digitalization?
With PeopleForce, there are direct gains:
- Time saving: the automatic assignment and the deletion of Excel files makes the work much faster. We are talking about one to two people!
- Less dependence on specialized personnel: less difficulties when the person who makes the planning is absent.
But above all, the greatest value is for production:
– Better use of skills: along two axes
o Better performance: right person at the right place. This can generate a 5% increase in OEE.
o Maintain versatility, to keep flexibility.
– Better mutualization of the staff between workshops and sometimes between schedules… PeopleForce can avoid the recourse to temporary labor. It is not rare that it is 2 FTE saved per year!
– No more planning mistakes. A mistake can have consequences on the quality, the performance or even stop a part of the factory…